FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Let’s talk about alternatives to the SPG Amex after the massive Marriott devaluation
Old Sep 5, 2019, 9:54 am
emma dog

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by bgriff
For me a big part of it is, there just aren't many lucrative ways to earn free hotel stays on credit card spend right now. With various bonus category cards I tend to earn a pretty steady flow of UR & MR points so between that and balances already held in airline programs, I'm comfortable that I have enough points for any airline bookings I may want to make, but I'm relatively scarce on hotel points. So I'm willing to sacrifice the "perfect" return strategy a bit to balance my points portfolio. (And I do occasionally use UR points for Hyatt stays, but there aren't a lot of Hyatts and I have better elite status with Marriott, so I don't consider that option a real solution to my relative shortage of hotel points.)
Considering Amex MR and Chase will transfer to Bonvoy, there’s no benefit of using a hotel-specific card just to earn points unless you factor in the various card bonuses and do the points valuation calculation comparison.