FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy Carry-on Allowance - JFK to DXB
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2019, 12:27 am
cargueiro

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, HH Gold, IHG Plat, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
It would be a safety issue then if calculations for fuel etc were made assuming passengers carrying 7kg, and every passenger carried 11kg instead..

A BA 380 can somehow carry passengers with cabin bags weighing up to 23kg (though in practice most would have something between 5 and 15kg)

Its just that a number of airlines including Emirates prefers to restrict to 7kg, and base their calculations on that, and of course it becomes an extra income source.

I once paid 800 Dhs (more than 200$) for my carry on bag weighing around 10 kg instead of 7kg at DXB. The ticket itself was 1500 dhs, so more than half of the cost of the ticket was paid due to 3 extra kg.

Regrettably, the bag carried stuff that I could not/did not want to throw, else I could have just thrown stuff away.
Well the BA 380 somehow manages to carry passengers with 23kg of cabin baggage because BA calculates its fuelling using 23kg per passenger. EK calculates using 7kg per passenger.

Perhaps BA isn't so bad as a lot of FTers make out!

With regards to EK, it actually has a quite generous checked baggage allowance. I haven't flown on a full BA aircraft for a long time but one plus point for EK is that I have never had a problem finding sufficient overhead locker space on full EK flights.