FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cruising Antarctica
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:54 am
747FC

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
Please do report back.

We just cannot decide about a cruise to Antarctica.
I admit that one of our concerns is the distance - meaning time - if there is any medical emergency beyond the ship's medical center's capabilities.
(For the same reason, we worry about any ocean crossing, and may cancel our planned trip next spring. But that cancellation is more likely to be because we have other destinations in mind.)

Every time we see photos from Antarctic trips, we start the discussion all over again.

Enjoy!

GC
Thanks. We went to Antarctica in 2018, and it was The Trip of a Lifetime.

We just got off a cruise from Iceland-Greenland-Baffin Island, and it was filled with past Antarctica cruisers. It was interesting to talk to some of the cruisers who had not yet been to Antarctica. Everyone of these folks mentioned that when they asked previous travelers to Antarctica how they enjoyed it, the unanimous opinion was that it was The Trip of a Lifetime.

The lack of medical evacuation options once one is "down under" can be worrisome. It all depends on risk tolerance and medical situation. Personally, if I had to die and go to heaven, Antarctica would not be a bad place to start the journey.

FYI, there was a 2017 Seabourn Antarctica cruise that got diverted/shortened because of a medical condition that resulted in death of a passenger. Also, in 2018, the captain who commanded our Antarctica cruise died during the next voyage. https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/c...in-larsen.html So, medical stuff happens.