FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 8:00 pm
coffeeblack

Programs: IC Amb, Marriott Silver, KF Silver, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Although MdR is not the most interesting place to stay in LA, it’s certainly walkable to Venice Beach (from the Marriott more so than the Ritz). Admittedly, Venice’s vibe may not be for everyone...

The Four Points Westside is literally less than three miles from the airport (closer than the MdR hotels). It’s certainly accessible to LAX without, in my opinion, feeling like an airport hotel—i.e., its location is better than the hotels on/around Century Blvd.

I find traffic at LAX can be bad at any time, especially with the construction going on. It can be especially bad at night (starting around 9pm) when a lot of the international flights are departing. The AA terminal is usually pretty empty around 9 or 10pm, but I have seen a lot of people running to catch flights around that time because it took them 45 minutes to get from Sepulveda to T4 because of traffic.
Thanks for this advice, exactly what I was looking for. When you say that Venice beach's vibe is not for everyone, do you mean it is not family friendly, or?

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Also depends on what time you get in...if renting a car, why pick it up, drive 30 and park at the hotel for 12 hours? (It might not matter, based on when you return the car, but a consideration.) Stay at the airport, then shuttle over to the car rental in the AM and head out.

HTH
Yeah! I thought about that like a few minutes after I posted my question.

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

Not sure what you mean by “easy access” to the city, but my choices for something close to LAX but not right at the airport would be the Marriott or Ritz Carlton Marina del Ray or the Four Points Westside—depending on your budget and type of hotel you are looking for.
Right now I'm booked at the Renaissance. I am thinking though, since i'm only staying in the LA specific area for two days (doing Disneyland after), maybe I should just suck it up and stay at the airport without lugging the family around, and take the airport shuttle first day, and grab the rental the next day.