FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL longhaul: declining service levels, higher fares
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:08 pm
Flanker2

Programs: JGC - 1 star
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I am confused by this post.

1. Are you able to request toothbrushes seating in Economy even though it's not available in the lavatory? Were you declined? It may just be the case all the toothbrushes got used and it was not replenished quickly enough.
2. The last time I sat in international economy in February there is a controller, so I am unsure which aircraft has it removed. However, I can hardly see removing seat back controllers a decline in service level. If the screen isn't working, speak to the FA?

4. When I fly I always see smiling cabin crews.
5. I think you need to go re-read the rules. You are still allowed to renew with 5,000 miles. What's changed is for renew w/o using miles. I am actually quite surprised that they didn't remove the 5,000 miles rule as it's a generous way to keep your oneworld Sapphire status.
6. I don't feel the meal quantity for either Japanese airlines in Economy was adequate to start with, whether it was a full meal or an Air Mos Burger. Not sure how that qualifies as a downgrade when it's been like that for years.

8. Based in US, e-mail to Japan Airlines often take up to 8 weeks to get a response. If I want an immediate response, I would call (and call Tokyo not LA as that would log me hours of wait time for most part).
9. At the moment, there is a lounge refurbishment at the JAL lounges in both HND and NRT. At NRT, if you are not taking JAL you will be directed to another airline lounge due to lack of space. It's been discussed here for a long time, did you read those threads? If there are works at HEL as well, then it's understandable if you are not flying AY you get directed to another lounge.
10. Feel free to take your business to AY. As a passenger you always have the rights to vote your wallet somewhere else.
1. -Toothbrushes can be requested of course. However, previously it was not necessary to request them, they were readily available.
2. -The controllers are being phased out on the B787 fleet. I was on flights in June and July and they were gone. It is a decline when the peopel behind you are tapping on it constantly, especially the younger crowd.
4. -Yes the cabin crew used to smile, not anymore since a couple of months. We'll see if those were summer blues.
5. -You are right I apologise for this. The communication I got by email was not clear, it mentionned only about the automatic renewal, but to me the 5000 JGC renewal is also an automatic renewal. So I thought that this option had vanished and was furious about it. Shame that customer service didn't get back to me to correct me, as this lead me to dismiss JAL as a favorite flight option and I booked my next flights with AF and KLM.
I will put back JAL as my favorite flight option. They need to be clear when they communicate such things. The 5000 mile renewal option is important in my opinion, because this loyalty extends to much more than individuals. This is the reason me and my entire family choose JL over any other airline, and some of us influence bigger (government) accounts.
6. -It's been like that for years but a point deserving to be repeated until they get it. The main meal is usually good, it's the second meal that is not adequate.
8. -8 weeks is ridiculous, as is their lack of a 24 hour call centre in Tokyo. When London closes, I need to call the U.S. office and they give me half answers and can't take bookings.
9. -Thanks for letting me know. I would have preferred that the check-in staff in NRT would have mentionned it to me rather than having to read it on a forum. The QF lounge wasn't too bad.
10. -AY is still not on par with JL services but I was pleasantly surprised on their last flights, cabin crew were smiling, they stopped their annoying and pushy duty free ads and the A359 is growing on me even when compared to the 8Y B789's. Definitely a push in the right direction in terms of quality for AY.

Last edited by Flanker2; Sep 1, 2019 at 4:16 pm