FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: LAX / Los Angeles International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:48 pm
carlosdca

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by coffeeblack
I just need to understand in terms of hotels, if I didn't want to stay RIGHT by the airport, but somewhere where it was still relatively easy to access the city, but on my first night (after a 15 hour flight from Singapore) still be quite easy to drive to from the airport, in maybe less than 30 minutes
There is no such a thing as "easy access to the city", unfortunately.
LA is huge and disconnected. Most people tend to stay in their respective bubbles.

If you don't want an airport hotel vibe and still be close enough to the airport (less than 20 minutes to the start of the airport loop) I would probably recommend a boutique hotel or airbnb in Manhattan Beach or Hermosa Beach close to the ocean.
Manhattan and Hermosa are really cool places and offer the almost stereotypical southern california beach lifestyle. You can uber to MB or Hermosa and then just walk around (no car needed)

Marina del Rey is blah, Miami-esque, just like a staying at an airport hotel and you will need a car or constant Uber or similar to get around.

Westside/Beverly Hills/Sunset/WestHollywood/Melrose have the coolest restaurants, bars and stereotypical LA scenes but it will be too far from the airport.

Traffic on weekday nights is not that bad. Traffic during the day and anytime on the weekends can be the worst.

TBH, it is easier if you just stay by the airport and then take an Uber to any specific spot in LA you want to check out.