FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JAL longhaul: declining service levels, higher fares
Old Aug 31, 2019, 6:17 pm
Flanker2

Programs: JGC - 1 star
JAL longhaul: declining service levels, higher fares

Dear all,

I'm sad to share that recently JAL is showing a drastic change in strategy with a steady decline in service levels in long haul economy class and at the same time are asking higher fares.

A few examples:
-Toothbrushes are no longer readily available in the lavatories
-The seatback controllers are being removed. So get used to getting your seat tapped by the passenger sitting behind you and having to resort to your smartphone for entertainment when the touchscreen isn't working properly
-The cabins are getting dirty. I got bit by bugs on my last two flights.
-The smiles of the cabin crews are gone.
-JGC people who take several flights per year are no longer eligible for renewal with 5000 miles unless they fly a lot each year. This is unforgiveable. I see that some see it as "freeloading", however at JAL's fare levels, this is not exactly freeloading.
-The Air Mos Burger idea was great and tasty, but my clothes goth dirty, plus great option for a snack but as a full meal??

The fares are through the roof. They are now often priced double of the cheapest option for Europe-Japan itineraries.

An email to the customer service about all of this was radically ignored, not even a reply.

I also noticed that AY no longer uses JAL lounges in NRT? I was directed to the QF lounge.
During the works at the non-Shengen lounge in HEL, JAL passengers were directed to a non-AY lounge.
Is there a dispute going on between JAL and AY?

I also noticed that AY have upped their game recently. Better service in the cabin, improved catering in the lounges, etc...