FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gratuities [pre-flight lounge dining]
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2019, 5:52 am
Globaliser
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by 27Liam
While I do not work for BA or any other airline customer facing role, if I was the recipient of an edible / drinkable gift from a passenger I would likely discard it given the obvious safety implications of not being able to verify where it came from or that it had not been tampered with. If someone wanted to harm individuals, a very easy way to achieve this would be giving staff tainted "gifts" to consume and you can imagine how bad the situation could get if a large number of CC were incapacitated mid flight by "gifts".
Originally Posted by Badenoch
My expectation is those tubs went into the bin with the contents uneaten. It is not a good idea to take candy (or anything else edible) from strangers.
Originally Posted by Saladman
I hope that not everyone feels the same way otherwise that’s food banks out of business.
And you don't actually hear a lot of stories along these lines, whether on aircraft or elsewhere. The highest-profile problems seem to come from trick-or-treating - but then if you encourage children to take part in a mass disruption exercise by persistently and repeatedly disturbing complete strangers by knocking on their doors to beg for food with menaces, there's inevitably a risk that someone's going to take misguided deterrent action.

On a flight, the crew will know exactly whodunnit if some such problem arises. No culprit could hope to do this and get away with it - which drastically reduces any risk that there might be. Personally, I'd hope that by the end of the flight, they would have got the measure of me and formed a view about whether I was a dangerous creep or making a genuinely well-meant gesture. But equally, if for safety's sake, they accept the gesture but quietly dispose of the items concerned, I would understand and wouldn't be offended.