FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:39 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cmd320
No, my position is that this is nothing more than cutting costs. Whatever environmental benefit that may (I'm not really sold on the idea that there will be an real tangible benefit here) exist will be negligible and customers will be left with these terrible wall-mounted dispensers.
I think that we'll just disagree. First, I think that it's clear that eliminating the tiny individual plastic bottles does reduce plastic usage and waste. At the hotels I mostly stay in (Bangkok properties), they all now have cards you leave on your bed if you want clean sheets. Absent the card, the bed is remade with the same sheets, saving water. In one of the hotels, SGS, they have eliminated the use of plastic water bottles. The rooms now have glass water bottles in leather sleeves. I don't see any way that measures like these aren't good for the environment.

That said, yes it's true that measures like these also benefit the hotel owner by reducing costs. But does it matter what initially motivated hotel management to implement things like this? Regardless of whether it was out of concern for the environment or concern for the bottom line, the environment benefits. If the hotel also benefits, great.