FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles
Old Aug 29, 2019, 8:21 am
KRSW

Originally Posted by stimpy
We will know that Marriott truly cares about the environment when they remove the single use plastic cups from their rooms and put back the glasses they used to have. That would really make me happy.
THIS! Worse, they're usually wrapped in plastic on top of it. Adding insult to injury, the plastic cups I've seen at the lower-end Marriott properties were so darn thin that they were almost unusable. As much as I love the SHS in Anchorage, they had these cups. After the first night I went next door to Walmart and picked up an $0.88 stemless wine glass, which has become my usual when I encounter such properties. Maybe it's just me, but I find it's something far more enjoyable drinking out of a glass than plastic cup.

Originally Posted by Antarius
this sounds like a hotel issue, not a dispenser issue. There are enough seams and corners in a shower for mold to grow - there was probably more elsewhere too.
The rest of the shower was clean actually. There was a little spot of mold growing on the ceiling, but that's about it. I'm definitely willing to bet that the mold growing on/around the dispensers was a problem at more rooms than just mine.

It's one more place, one more complication, that can lead to a service failure for the guest. Let's be honest -- housekeeping staff are usually the lowest-paid employees at a hotel. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Best to take the McDonald's approach with this and try to engineer out as many points of failure as you can.

Originally Posted by Badenoch
This is of little consequence to me as I don't use hotel toiletries regardless of how they are dispensed. I bring my own because smell is a powerful emotion and I feel better in far-away foreign lands when I smell the same as at home
I'd love to bring my own stuff, but the TSA still believes in Hollywood movie plots and fairytales, so I can't carry my toiletries with me. Sidenote: Take a look at the latest TSA ban -- empty coke bottles that resemble Looney-Tunes style bombs. EMPTY bottles...

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Did you calculate that the big bottles use more plastic? Quite a few calculations for you there. Can you show your work?
I'm staying at a property which has the dreaded wall pump dispensers tomorrow. I'll see if I can snag an empty bottle. Nothing a small accurate scale can't figure out. Lord knows I have plenty of the little bottles at home to compare it to.

Last edited by KRSW; Aug 29, 2019 at 8:34 am