FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott to Eliminate Single-use Toiletry Bottles
Old Aug 29, 2019, 2:05 am
Dr. HFH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by cmd320
That's fine, however if this were a true environmental focus, Marriott would invest in eliminating all plastic bottles. They aren't. This is a cheapening of the product wrapped up in an environmental press release to make it seem like some great change.
So your position is that unless Marriott gets rid of all plastic bottles, there's zero environmental benefit?

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suspect there may not be any cost savings. The larger dispensers may save on the bottles but likely increase labor costs.
Another 60 seconds for housekeeping. No big deal.

Originally Posted by gengar
As a long-time veteran of the hotel industry, unfortunately I agree completely. There's no way any of these companies would even consider these initiatives if it didn't reduce their costs and the PR/marketing spin couldn't overcome the negative impact on guest experience. I'm also quite skeptical of any positive environmental impact, but of course any big corp is going to dress this up in PR.
Who cares if Marriott also benefits? Less plastic is environmentally beneficial.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I never use bar soap. I also find it to be extremely wasteful relative to liquid soap. The Fairmont in the North End in Boston used to recycle the leftover soap, collecting them and sending them to be re-formulated and donated. Only place that I've ever heard of anything so thoughtful.
Presumably you mean the Fairmont Copley Plaza (only Fairmont in Boston). Grand, old hotel, but nowhere near the North End. In a different section of the city.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
I also think they should rollout a sanitizing routine for the parts of the pumps that come into contact with hands. Just make it clear that every Housekeeper MUST sterilize the pumps daily. If that occurred, would be very appropriate for the premium and luxury Bonvoy brands.
I don't think that sterilization is necessary, -- IMO regular cleaning with something like Windex is fine. Do you require that your sheets and towels also be sterilized?