FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Doha layover [merged thread]
View Single Post
Old Aug 28, 2019, 3:34 pm
weegraeme

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by :D!
I wouldn't tip any of these people unless they did something extraordinary and unexpected for me. However you have 3 suitcases so if someone carries them to the room I guess a small tip might be reasonable.

If you really want to tip you need 1, 5 and 10 riyal notes which you won't be able to get at ATMs, AFAIK. (Coins are only used in supermarkets.) If you were American and felt incomplete without tipping left right and centre, then you could even use US$1 bills, but you aren't so don't.

I suppose you could pay a taxi with a 100 riyal note to get some change (and possibly leave the 1s as a tip), but Uber would be cheaper.
Thanks, very much.

I don't particularly like tipping. I think that employers should pay their people what they're worth and charge prices accordingly. But having said that, I didn't want to be seen as "cheap". And if people would normally rely on tips just to live, I wouldn't want to be taking food out of their mouths either.

Uber operates in Australia, but I've never used them. I was thinking of using them this time though. I probably won't have any further use of Qatari currency, so I don't really want any left over, and neither do I want to be short. My understanding is that taxis require cash payment, so I thought Uber would be simpler. It doesn't look like either option will be hugely expensive.