FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a Chinese Drivers License
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 5:19 pm
STS-134

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Deltus
It's certainly written in poor English, which I understand to be a highlight of the real test... Anyone know what a "safety pillow" is? I'm assuming either an airbag or a headrest, but it's not obvious...
...airbag?

BTW, I did get my Chinese license. I used the Laowaidrive app for Android to study for the test, and got a score of 98 on the first try. The test wasn't difficult at all (just memorization). What took far longer was the following:

1. Getting a visa good for >= 90 days per entry
2. Getting the "Registration Voucher of Residence for Visitors from Overseas" at the police station
3. Getting photo taken and cut into the proper size for a driver's license (same process as for passport/visa photo)
4. Going to the DMV to start the paperwork. Need passport, visa, before mentioned registration voucher. The DMV gave me some papers that I would need to take the test
5. Getting my license translated into Chinese by an official translator
6. Doing a health check

After doing all of the above steps, I could go to the testing location and take the actual test, after paying a fee and giving them the paperwork mentioned in steps (3), and the translated license in step (4), and the results of the health check from step (5). After passing, I had to go back to the DMV to get the license (the test was administered at a different location, at least in Kaifeng).

Last edited by STS-134; Aug 27, 2019 at 6:37 pm