FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - HHonors Points Stolen Through Amazon.com
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2019, 3:52 pm
itsallgood

Programs: LT Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, United Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
There isn't a lot Hilton can do if people are being compromised (and it's clear at least some of the attacks are a direct result of this) because they're stupid enough to use the same password across multiple websites or services on the Internet.
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's basic security - you NEED to be using strong, unique passwords across EVERY website and service you visit. If you use the same password it's not a case of IF you'll be hacked, but WHEN.
Have unique strong passwords and a password manager and the Internet would be a much safer place for everybody. If you use the same password across multiple sites and your password(s) are currently on haveibeenpwned your chances of being compromised are significantly escalated.

I don't have a single password, but I've got ~30 different password protected accounts. Many of them share the same username and password or a variant. Many are accessed daily; some are accessed very sporadically. It would be nice to have a simple life where one only has a few password protected accounts so that you can use unique usernames and UNIQUE STRONG passwords on each of them. Most of us don't have such a simple life.
I haven't been hacked ... yet. I will continue to do this until I get hacked.
Note that most accounts don't allow you to change the username.

And I'd say that the problem isn't people using the same password, it's not having 2FA on accounts. The problem isn't the end user, it's the company that doesn't secure their customer accounts.

Originally Posted by Janepod
My points were stolen on July 19, at which time I was told I'd have them back in 24-48 hours. I then received an email saying 7-10 business days. Today I called to check up on what's going on (still no points!) and was told it would take about 30 days because the FBI and Interpol are working the case and cannot reinstate the points until their investigation of "all the relevant IP addresses" is complete. So thorough! Interpol, even! Maybe they will get James Bond and Jack Reacher on the case!
It's good to hear that they're pursuing some of these cases.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 28, 2019 at 10:51 am Reason: Consolidation.