FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:53 am
guv1976
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by saxman66
Just found this wiki as I have been renting cars with my Sapphire Reserve for years now. Luckily nothing has happened yet, but in reading the Wiki, I am a resident of Texas, and I often rent in another part of Texas. Does this mean I don't have primary coverage through my CSR card? What about when I rent out of state? There's nothing about this in the card agreement. I guess that's why Dollar employee (in Texas) wanted to know who my car insurance was and said my credit card was for only secondary. Guess I was wrong.

Also I just realized, that CDW doesn't involve pickup trucks as stated in the CSR agreement. My last two rentals have been pickup trucks, not by my choice. I'd rather have a nice sedan or something more fuel efficient. But they said that's all they had available. Anyone have problems making a claim against a pickup truck?
I would follow up with Chase's insurance provider. I was originally told by Chase's insurance administrator -- which is NOT the insurance company -- that the Chase "primary" coverage was only secondary coverage for residents of NY and the other handful of states identified at the head of this thread. I filed a complaint with the federal agency that regulates banks/credit cards, and was subsequently contacted by a representative of the actual insurance company in Virginia; the insurance rep informed me that Chase's insurance administrator got it wrong, and that NY residents do indeed get primary coverage. I'm not sure if that's also true for residents of Texas and the other listed states.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 28, 2019 at 5:59 pm