FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:48 am
threeoh

Originally Posted by saxman66
Just found this wiki as I have been renting cars with my Sapphire Reserve for years now. Luckily nothing has happened yet, but in reading the Wiki, I am a resident of Texas, and I often rent in another part of Texas. Does this mean I don't have primary coverage through my CSR card? What about when I rent out of state? There's nothing about this in the card agreement. I guess that's why Dollar employee (in Texas) wanted to know who my car insurance was and said my credit card was for only secondary. Guess I was wrong.

Also I just realized, that CDW doesn't involve pickup trucks as stated in the CSR agreement. My last two rentals have been pickup trucks, not by my choice. I'd rather have a nice sedan or something more fuel efficient. But they said that's all they had available. Anyone have problems making a claim against a pickup truck?
The card insurance is only for damage to the rental car. It doesn't cover damage to the other car or any e.g. medical bills.

Some states mandate liability insurance be included in the rental, but Texas doesn't. If you don't have personal car insurance that covers it, you'll need to buy it from the rental company.