FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Help Desk: practical assistance for those affected by strikes on 9, 10, 27 Sep
Old Aug 24, 2019, 11:50 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fiberwalker
Thanks for the reply - finally got through but they said they had to send my request to the refunds team to calculate a partial refund. My breakdown is as follows:

$710.68 original booking, 2x round trip WT
$384.00 proactive upgrade for outbound from WT > WTP (unaffected flight)
$630.40 return flight change, +$30.40 in fare difference, $550.00 change fee (2x $275.00), $50.00 service center call fee
$274.50 + 26,000 AVIOS upgrade return flight from WT to WTP.

By my calculation the entirety of the last two lines should be refunded, and a portion of the original fare. ~$1,100 + 26,000 AVIOS.
This is tricky, because you paid a hefty change fee and I'm not sure of the status of that.

The $274 and Avios are clearly repayable, and I guess around $200 of the first line too (difficult to be sure since APD is higher in WTP than WT). The change fee and service fee I suspect isn't refundable, but I really don't know. The fare difference should be repayable though. That brings us to a potential refund of about $500 plus 26k Avios.

I am wondering whether it makes more sense to cancel the whole booking, since then I imagine you get a full refund of everything, and can start again. But to be honest there is quite a lot of money in this, so I think you need to talk to an knowledgeable agent in some detail about this since I hesitate to give advice here.

It would be good to update us with the outcome, since this would help others. It may take a while though!