FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}
Old Aug 23, 2019, 1:40 pm
ClimbGuy

Originally Posted by jsloan
Sure. But the more people who take up agents' time, the greater their motivation to fix it.
By fix it I hope you mean fix the united.com calculations to correctly reflect the number of miles needed, so I do hope they fix that. Though I think you mean to modify the rules for the excursionist perk, which would be rather unfortunate, but is probably inevitable once they can figure out how to price partner award tickets the way they will start pricing UA tickets in November.

Understood, and agreed. I've seen a couple of other cases.
if I call in that will be my starting point to prove the computer is wrong

Essentially zero, if it's a one-time event.

Hidden-city ticketing on an award -- which is what you're suggesting -- is handled slightly differently than HCT on a paid ticket. On a paid ticket, UA can make a demand for payment, but they can't enforce it outside of going to court. (They can't go back and re-charge your credit card, for example). With an award ticket, if you made them mad enough, the T&C allow them to do basically anything they want, including closing your account for abuse. As far as they're concerned, miles aren't yours to own, so therefore you have no legal protection against arbitrary forfeiture. In order to prevail, you'd have to convince a court otherwise.
To be clear the hidden city ticketing is not what I am planning to do, narvik asked about it, which is why I brought it up. I agree with your assessment of it on an award ticket. So the remaining question is for someone wanting to try it is if UA ever came after them for it.

Last edited by ClimbGuy; Aug 23, 2019 at 2:36 pm