FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Crowne Plaza ANA Kyoto Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:11 pm
Enigma368

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
The refurbished/rennovated rooms are sold as "superior", "deluxe" and "executive".
I stayed here earlier this month for 2 nights. and really must stress how terrible the non-refurbished rooms are. I booked a standard room last minute and as a Spire Member was given a non refurbished "Deluxe Twin Room". The room was incredibly dated, carpet in the bathroom, sagging mattresses that really have no place in a Crowne Plaza. I cannot think of a worse IHG property I have stayed at. The real kicker though is that the air conditioning does not work properly in these rooms, it was impossible to get the room below 24celsius(75f). Checking tripadvisor, this is a widespread problem at the hotel. I had to get a fan which made sleeping just about bearable in the very humid Kyoto summer.

I complained the next day about the room and was told the only refurbished rooms available were suites which I would have to pay a significant extra cost for. I said that I would be following up this stay with a severe complaint to IHG as I did not feel the rooms were close to Crowne Plaza standard and non functioning air conditioning is not acceptable for this brand. They then immediately apologized and gave me a refurbished junior suite at no extra cost. The new room was amazing, it was like moving from a Travelodge to a Conrad. And most importantly, it had working air conditioning.

So in short, this hotel has a Jekyll and Hyde problem, at least until all floors are refurbished. I suspect all elites (and probably most westerners) will get refurbished rooms as long as they book well enough in advance but just something to be aware of.