FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LHR/LGW pilots (BALPA) industrial action 9 Sep, 10 Sep, and 27 Sep
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:42 am
samfrost93

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by subject2load
I recognise the point made above that BALPA have made every effort to adopt the most ‘reasonable’ approach throughout this process. They deserve credit for that.

However ...... accepting also that there are almost certainly things happening behind the scenes, to which few (if any ?) of us are privy, I do think there comes a point when BALPA could be deemed to be prolonging uncertainty - and more so than BA. One could say that BA have at least made their position clear (wrongly or rightly) with the reported ‘final offer’ and that BALPA should therefore have decided by now what their own final position is, one way or the other.

I wonder whether BALPA are perhaps risking (some) loss of support with what might be seen as prevarication .... ?

Agreed. At the end of the day BALPA rely heavily on press coverage to force airlines back to the negotiating table and into compromising.

Given that the Ryan Air strike is taking place today/tomorrow, I'd imagine that BALPA will hold off on announcing BA strike dates until next week to avoid missing out on potential press coverage. This is likely why no press release or further information has been published on their position of BA's latest offer.

News outlets are fixated on Ryan Air strikes at the moment, it's exactly what BALPA want/need. Why would they risk that by disrupting their own press coverage?

However, this strategy is causing maximum uncertainty for passengers. It gets to a point where passengers who were sympathetic will lose patience and want a clear understanding of what's going on. I think we're getting close to that point...