FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I join Flying Blue?
View Single Post
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:26 am
fifty_two

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by roberino
I am in a bit of a conundrum about whether or not to split my flying loyalty between two programs. I live in the UK and MAN is my usual home airport.
Check your flights plans , and do the maths for the same destinations with skyteam from MAN , then you will have an idea

In my case i am doing a forecast of my private trips for the current and next year (bizness is another story cause i dont pay so dont care) . Then i know more or less how much it will cost me to reach silver or gold

II am currently A3*G and easily requalify every year even though I have never taken a A3 flight. Currently have *G until January 2021. I am noticing that *A is usually more expensive than SkyTeam, and while the *A network is pretty comprehensive there are some destinations (e.g. India) that are poorly served. I would probably look to join a Flying Blue program but want some advice on which one, or whether I should do it at all...
As i said , it depends on your destinations and your base airport . If AF/KL consider that MAN is a significant market , you will have more flights and frequent sales from your city/country

Pros and Cons
Every person is different so its up to you

Questions:
  1. Are MAN-AMS-XXX and MAN-CDG-XXX connections better, worse or the same and FRA/MUC?
  2. Is MAN T3 better, worse or the same as T1? E.g. for general check-in, security, departures lounge, FB exec lounge, arrivals?
  3. Has anyone got both A3*G and FB gold already? How hard is it to get FB gold compared to A3*G?
  4. And the biggie - should I sign up for KL or AF? Or doesn't it make any difference?
1 = cant answer , its up to your needs . For instance , If your destinations are outside schengen area then you dont have to worry about customs therefore your life is easier
2 = havent been yet in MAN so i cant answer
3 = A3*G is easy to get (compare to miles and more gold) if you fly long haul flights with highest fares . You said you have A3 gold without A3 flights , therefore you collected 48k miles which is quite a lot . FB gold can be easy to reach too , but again it depends on your flights pattern , and your budget
4 = its the same , flying blue is the FFP of AF , KL , KQ , RO and few other airlines

I fly for work, mainly in Europe about once every 2 weeks with LH connecting in FRA or MUC, and typically with a long haul trip every 6-8 weeks that could be anywhere in the world. Default class of travel is economy although I can take E+/PE if it's economical.
Now flying blue is revenue based (if you fly AF or KL) , but with other partners it is still distance/class based

I would say that these 4 factors will help you to reach gold easier

1 = fly from another country than france or netherlands
2 = fly cheap long haul flights
3 = add as much layovers as you can
4 = your home airport is a significant market for airlines

Check the flying blue website and the charts

FB XP charts

You can clearly see that with intercontinental flights over 3500 miles (even in economy) can give you lot of xp .
And if you combine them with layovers then 4 trips to asia or south america are enough to reach gold

Last edited by fifty_two; Aug 22, 2019 at 5:59 am