FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What's Up With Limited "U" Availability?
View Single Post
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:35 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kurt
A bit of good news: we are booked on AS371 Ft. Lauderdale-San Francisco (7:40 a.m. departure) in late November (on a Sunday, no less; prime day for cruise passengers like us to fly out). We were waitlisted using GGUs on an Airbus with eight seats in F. Aircraft swap occurred yesterday to a 737-900 and within a few hours of acknowledging the change we were upgraded to F. I did not have to look for U space myself; it happened automatically. This flight is 6 hours 30 minutes so the upgrade is well appreciated.
I am not sure what you mean by waitlisted with GGUs. You can't waitlist with a GGU. What fare class did you purchase and what is your Elite status?

It sounds as if you had purchased an eligible fare and were on the upgrade waitlist already. With the aircraft swap and addition of 8 more F seats your eligible fare should clear the waitlist if sufficient U space opened up. (Assuming the processor is working as it should be! )

Ineligible fares are not automatically upgraded before the Elite tier window. A GGU can be applied to a K fare or higher but it still requires a manual application from an agent. If your fare class is below K an upfare would be required before the GGU can be applied.

James