FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:18 pm
flightyryan
Company Representative, Flighty App

Programs: flighty.com
Originally Posted by lsquare
Hey Ryan, you must have been super busy the past week or so? I'm leaving for Tokyo soon and I'm going to put your app through another round of test. September is going to be crazier for me as I'll be flying every week so 4 trips in total.

Well, to be fair, your app just came out so I'm not about to throw Flighty under the bus. However, you did said what you said earlier about your faith in the app. I think it is important to know when a flight is delayed and it's a good thing I did signed up with CX for flight status updates. The CX gate at JFK T8 wasn't that close to Bobby Van's. I rather sit at the restaurant eating and browsing my phone comfortably rather than sit near the gate waiting for the delayed plane.

So what are you doing to minimize the chance of that happening again with CX? Mind sharing a little bit of info? Which 4 airlines are you referring to? This would be important for me going forward because I primarily fly AC and CX between Vancouver and New York. I might switch to Delta in the future once I achieve a higher status. I'll keep that in mind and the next time I encounter an issue, I'll send you the report immediately. Did you get the report from me via email?

I think you're right and the truth is that people want a lower price or essentially everything for free. You'll have to move on and ignore those customers. Obviously you'll need to pay your bills and make a living from this. I think what you're offering for free is good enough and if people want all of the features that your app provides, then they have to pay up. It's as simple as that. I'll tell you what and I'm not joking here, if Flighty is 99.99% accurate, if you truly provide lifetime updates and no non-sense about adding extra features that requires more money, then I would consider paying you $199. For now, I'll pay you that $50 once my trial ends so I can play with your app for a year. I truly hope you'll add new features and continue to improve the reliability of the app. Otherwise it'll be difficult for anyone to give you $50 let alone $199. I can't provide any examples right now, but I could have swear I read about certain apps supposedly selling lifetime status and then a few years later, introducing new in-app features with extra fee.

Hey Ryan, you must have been super busy the past week or so? I'm leaving for Tokyo soon and I'm going to put your app through another round of test. September is going to be crazier for me as I'll be flying every week so 4 trips in total.
You have no idea. So so exhausted. Like, literal clinical probably, ha. I'm taking next week totally off, I just have to.

Well, to be fair, your app just came out so I'm not about to throw Flighty under the bus. However, you did said what you said earlier about your faith in the app. I think it is important to know when a flight is delayed and it's a good thing I did signed up with CX for flight status updates. The CX gate at JFK T8 wasn't that close to Bobby Van's. I rather sit at the restaurant eating and browsing my phone comfortably rather than sit near the gate waiting for the delayed plane.
That is the goal and it will happen. Otherwise what are we doing. I sat and watched a sunset for an extra 2 hours because I knew for SURE my plane was going to be late because I could see the inbound was late and I watched the delays lengthen slowly. THAT is the holy grail and where we are going. You just sitting at Bobby Van's and not having to worry a hair, Flighty has your back completely. That is confidence user want and will pay for and we will deliver.

So what are you doing to minimize the chance of that happening again with CX? Mind sharing a little bit of info? Which 4 airlines are you referring to? This would be important for me going forward because I primarily fly AC and CX between Vancouver and New York. I might switch to Delta in the future once I achieve a higher status. I'll keep that in mind and the next time I encounter an issue, I'll send you the report immediately. Did you get the report from me via email?
Here's what is going on: We launched <30 days ago, it took ~10 days to see the patterns in which data is not perfect, and then we immediately starting looking for other sources, negotiating, and testing. I can't publicly say what we learned, or what sources we will be using, and how we will do it, because that is a massive competitive advantage. Just imagine thought - it's not at all obvious what the root cause is, it could be an airline, an airport, a region, the user's settings, a one-off fluke, etc etc. So it takes a lot of reports from users to learn that CX could be better. And to be honest, it's the best of the worst - it works almost all the time, so your case is not normal and you should not think "Flighty sucks for CX". That is objectively not true. Again, not your concern, just sharing .

Bottom line: We need reports, via the app, that say exactly what happened, why you know Flighty was late, with times, and any other context like the airport been F'ed that day, or you having bad LTE, etc etc.

When we get those, we can narrow in on the root cause and then go solve it. Otherwise that's why we ask a million questions about the issue, to try to narrow in.

I did get your report. And I do appreciate it so much, for real. Super helpful and literally the ONLY way to know!

I think you're right and the truth is that people want a lower price or essentially everything for free. You'll have to move on and ignore those customers. Obviously you'll need to pay your bills and make a living from this. I think what you're offering for free is good enough and if people want all of the features that your app provides, then they have to pay up. It's as simple as that. I'll tell you what and I'm not joking here, if Flighty is 99.99% accurate, if you truly provide lifetime updates and no non-sense about adding extra features that requires more money, then I would consider paying you $199. For now, I'll pay you that $50 once my trial ends so I can play with your app for a year. I truly hope you'll add new features and continue to improve the reliability of the app. Otherwise it'll be difficult for anyone to give you $50 let alone $199. I can't provide any examples right now, but I could have swear I read about certain apps supposedly selling lifetime status and then a few years later, introducing new in-app features with extra fee.
You nailed it. And I said the same thing above before reading this: It has to be 99.99% accurate. Just has to be. And it's possible and we will do it. I forget too that we only just launched and it's only been <30 days. Feels like 4 months ago! But we fix them permanently and so we are doing it right. Once we get the accuracy fixed, then we go back to new features, and yes, we have a long long very cool list of those .

Thanks for the support 🙏. And honest feedback. And for caring. Please keep reporting (at least via app plus here if you want) as much accuracy issues as you can notice and have time to help.