FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flighty - A new Flight Tracking app for iOS
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:58 am
lsquare
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by flightyryan
1/2/3. Flighty and our sources only show CX865 as assigned to a 777-300 ER. No one shows a change. At least now. I can easily image a scenario where our sources tell us the plane changed from a 777-300 ER to a 777-300 because they do dumb stuff like that all the time. We should build in protection against that, but that risks not showing a valid change then. So we'll have to balance it.

4. Boring answer: because CX does not share that data with any of our sources in an appropriate manner. Real answer: We're still going to make it better. Users don't care "why" they just want it fixed and that's what we are working on right now. It's frustrating because we work perfectly with all but 4 airlines. But if you have one experience with one of those 4, you think Flighty is not accurate across the board. As you should! So we have to have 99.99/100 accuracy in order to be perceived as accurate. 97.5/100 is not enough and that's where we are.

Not making excuses, and I knew this coming into it. Just sharing, since y'all are extra interested.

5. When you report an issue via the Flighty app, we get your UserID which is the only way to see what alerts we sent to that UserID. Secondarily, we get Diagnostics Logs, which show what you and the app where doing that lead up to any issues.

So when you have an issue, if you hit that "Report an Issue" button, we get the log data we need. If you wait 12+ hours to send it, or dont' send it via that means, we don't get useful logs and we can't do anything basically.

That is not your fault. It is made that way on purpose for privacy. Just sharing.

I did not say or mean to imply that we would sell you a lifetime membership that only vastest 3 years. That would be absurd and a scam. I said: When users do the math to see if they would prefer to buy an app for $79.99/yr or X lifetime cost... 3x is usually the benchmark they expect.

Then I said, people keep asking us for lifetime plans, but I suspect they would not actually want that. If I offered $79.99/year or $199 for lifetime, would any of you actually buy the lifetime? I doubt it. Which means people aren't actually asking for a lifetime plan, what they want is a lower price. SO, I wanted to check that assumption and see - would any of you actually buy lifetime at $199?
Hey Ryan, you must have been super busy the past week or so? I'm leaving for Tokyo soon and I'm going to put your app through another round of test. September is going to be crazier for me as I'll be flying every week so 4 trips in total.

Well, to be fair, your app just came out so I'm not about to throw Flighty under the bus. However, you did said what you said earlier about your faith in the app. I think it is important to know when a flight is delayed and it's a good thing I did signed up with CX for flight status updates. The CX gate at JFK T8 wasn't that close to Bobby Van's. I rather sit at the restaurant eating and browsing my phone comfortably rather than sit near the gate waiting for the delayed plane.

So what are you doing to minimize the chance of that happening again with CX? Mind sharing a little bit of info? Which 4 airlines are you referring to? This would be important for me going forward because I primarily fly AC and CX between Vancouver and New York. I might switch to Delta in the future once I achieve a higher status. I'll keep that in mind and the next time I encounter an issue, I'll send you the report immediately. Did you get the report from me via email?

I think you're right and the truth is that people want a lower price or essentially everything for free. You'll have to move on and ignore those customers. Obviously you'll need to pay your bills and make a living from this. I think what you're offering for free is good enough and if people want all of the features that your app provides, then they have to pay up. It's as simple as that. I'll tell you what and I'm not joking here, if Flighty is 99.99% accurate, if you truly provide lifetime updates and no non-sense about adding extra features that requires more money, then I would consider paying you $199. For now, I'll pay you that $50 once my trial ends so I can play with your app for a year. I truly hope you'll add new features and continue to improve the reliability of the app. Otherwise it'll be difficult for anyone to give you $50 let alone $199. I can't provide any examples right now, but I could have swear I read about certain apps supposedly selling lifetime status and then a few years later, introducing new in-app features with extra fee.