FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A380 really so much better than A380 old First?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 1:57 am
th14

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
You’re welcome. I’ve read many of your posts in the AF forum and it’s always been helpful so happy to reciprocate.

Quick question. Your opening post said you had a choice of FRA or LHR but here you reference CDG. Not a big deal bc CDG is same as FRA with Old A380 suites. Just clarifying.

Regarding your other question. You’ll notice I was very specific in using Suites vs First. All SQ A380 is Suites class. It’s either the old 12 seat suites class or the new 6 seat Suites class. Currently only 5 routes have the new Suites. LHR and ZRH are the only 2 European options. No North American options yet.

All other aircraft, like 777, only offer Non Suite First. And some don’t have First at all. Like A350. Non Suite First is a very good product. Similar to new La Premiere with 4 across on the 777 in layout, space, and on board service. I think La Premiere is a better execution of the hard product. SQ are currently re doing First and only part of the fleet is done. The seat is basically the same with slight cosmetic updates. New F config is 1 row of 4. Older F config is 2 rows of 4.

But getting back to suites. If flying from CDG, just take the A380 non stop in old suites. You’ll be very comfortable and it’ll be an easier trip. Especially if you just want to look out the window. You’re facing forward in old suites with windows to the side. If you’re eating, working, watching TV (which I know you don’t care about), or reading a book, it’s like a normal experience with windows to the side you can easily look out. Some rows have 3 windows while others have 2. I believe it’s Row 2 that has 3 windows but not positive.

In new suites, for eating or watching TV, or working with table out, you’re facing the aisle with your back to the window. If you do try new suites, definitely take Row 2. Row 1 facing forward faces the wall. At least in Row 2, the bed is in front of you and you can still recline facing forward. I can explain that more if you need.

That said, as much as I’ve talked down the new suites, if you’re in London and can take the new suites non stop, it’s worth doing. I know that sounds counter intuitive but there is something to be said for new and shiny. You can also connect to ZRH from CDG on Star Alliance if you really want to try new suites.

In order, for me personally, I would rank Old Suites, New La Premiere, New Suites. And call it a tie between A380 La Premier and SQ First.

Last edited by th14; Aug 21, 2019 at 2:32 am