FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gran Hotel dei Dogi, The Dedica Anthology, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:15 am
Dhony2012

Originally Posted by Konsultant
Any recent trip reports. Have an upcoming stay, so wanted to be prepared as to what to expect.
Hi there,

Had a short stay recently. I'd say everything that was previously said still holds true. It's a nice place but a little dated. I was in Venice for less than 24 hours, so I didn't have any time for sightseeing or exploring much of the hotel itself. I booked the basic room on points and used a Suite Night upgrade for a Panorama room. There was a welcome note and a package of local pasta waiting for me in the room.

I didn't have any issue catching the water bus from the airport at around 9pm on a Sunday night, and there were open restaurants within a 10 min walk if I wanted food. As others have mentioned, the hotel itself is in a quiet neighborhood, so the streets are pretty empty after dark. The main streets with restaurants were more lively, but the walk from the water bus to the hotel was a bit uncomfortable for me since it was dark, narrow, empty, and unknown. Followed Google Maps without any issue though.

I took the breakfast option instead of points since I didn't have time to walk around in the morning. The posted rate for the buffet was €28, which seems a bit high. It was a pretty standard breakfast spread, but not really anything special considering the high category level. There was a selection of breads, muffins, pastries, cold cuts, cheese, fruit, and some steam trays with eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and tomatoes. Waffles, French toast, and omelets were made to order. Again, totally fine, but if you have time to walk around and explore the area, I'm sure you can find something more memorable. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have just taken the points and had breakfast in the airport lounge.

Overall, I'd say it was a unique property, not a bad stay, but not anywhere I'd go out of my way to visit again.