FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Peak and off peak Awards (General Discussion)
Old Aug 18, 2019, 4:50 am
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Curious question.
If I have a point booking (not point advance) for .. say January 2020 at standard rate and in December 2019 the rate change to off peak rate for the same date.
If I cancel my current reservation, does the room immediately returned to the inventory?

Or it is safer for me to make a new booking with the off peak rate first and then cancel the original booking ?
Doing this might not feasible for members who don't have enough points to cover both reservations

And also what time it takes to return the original point from the original booking ?
If it is not returned immediately then again people with just enough point to cover that reservation face higher risk the room no longer available

Second question, about point advance
Never made any point advance reservation, so not very sure about the mechanic of the said system.

Say I made a point advance reservation for January 2020 again.
Can I made PA reservation even if I have enough point to cover the reservation?
Once I have enough point to cover the reservation, do I need to "pay" the reservation manually with the point or the system automatically change it to confirmed booking once there are sufficient points in the account ?
There is no guarantee that a cancelled award room will be returned to inventory. Much safer to make a new booking before cancelling the old one. In my experience, points are returned immediately. Others have not been so lucky, but I think it is the exception rather than the rule.

The system no longer allows PA reservations if there are enough points in your account. (A way around this is to make a dummy booking to tie up all your points.) The system will not automatically confirm the booking when you have enough points. You have to request it. Also note that with PA reservations, you no longer get a confirmation email, so make sure you take a screen shot or print out of your reservation, or send a confirmation to yourself.