FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA A350-1000 training flights meet-ups thread
Old Aug 18, 2019, 2:33 am
SleepySynapse

Programs: BA GGL
Great to meet so many people yesterday, including those not on the MAD run, and hope those returning today have a good and safe trip back!

In the right seats I don't have a big problem with current Club World, but I think this provides what people "want" to all seats in a better way than a lot of airlines manage. My biggest concern, before boarding, was the foot cubbies; while not as big as say QF's Vantage XL, they were not really an issue for me (6 foot tall, size 9 feet). Apparently the foot cubbies in all rows are identical and, as others have said, seat choice really comes down to distance from galley for quietness and speed of service.

While the service yesterday for me sitting in row 1 and 2 was very good, the single galley and extremely narrow aisles clearly make the service difficult. It sounds like service is being planned to start at row 1 and row 17 simultaneously, and meet in the middle - but subject to change. The front toilet is also particularly awkward to access during service, located through the galley right by the flight deck door, effectively leaving two toilets at door 2.

To me, the large 11-row cabin felt less dormitory-like than the 777; once you're in you're not really aware of those around you. I'd only really use the (slightly-gimmicky?) door for an extra sense of privacy while sleeping. The suite actually seems like a miniaturised version of 787 First, but I don't think it risks cannibalising First in hard product (let alone soft product).

So, for me: providing BA can make the service work, Club Suite does what BA needs to do (particularly to shut down the simplistic 2-4-2 argument). It's not really a step change for the competition, but it's a good, thoughtfully-designed (in the most part: avoid those red emergency door handles!) version of today's typical business class seats.

Edited to add: I can't understand why the WiFi is priced differently from all other fleets? Pricing per MB is much less user-friendly than by hour/whole flight.

I had a great time yesterday - thank you to all the Flyertalkers and crew - and I can't wait to fly the A350 again!

Last edited by SleepySynapse; Aug 18, 2019 at 2:53 am Reason: Comment about wifi