FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:06 am
AC7E7

Programs: Air Canada SE100K, Westjet Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, NEXUS
Originally Posted by entropy
I doubt 2-3 years from now anyone will be worried about the MAX. Boeing will keep selling them and keep building them. Just like almost nobody today thinks about the 787 battery fires.

Boeing foolishly implemented a cut-rate strategy to extend the life of a substandard product, they bet that they could do the modification on the cheap and it wouldn't cause problems. It did and now they have to correct it, with a lot more eyes on them (eyes that should've been on them all along but they weren't because we're cheap). Perhaps the most concerning thing is that they didn't pull the certification as soon as there were issues. The military grounds aircraft a hell of a lot faster than this, and they don't have to answer to the flying general public.

Having said all that , if I were AC I'd cancel the order, sell off the remaining 737s and acquire the 320neos but that's because they're better aircraft..

AC just can’t cancel the order. They invested a significant amount of capital in the planes, parts, training, etc. The Max will be flying again, and nobody will care a few years from now.

Boeing decided to update the 737 because that is what airlines wanted. Simply blaming Boeing for updating the 737 vs a new design is ridiculous. Airlines wanted an update only, not a new design. The number of orders for the Max proves it.