FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Equipment change / downgauge = no seat / downgrade. What now?
Old Aug 17, 2019, 8:17 am
HiAperture

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I wouldn't hold your breath for anything more. The phone agent had no idea who would show up in DFW or what the GA would do to fix the issue. Also, you got your refund which is above and beyond what they needed to give you.
Not looking to start an argument here but the phone agent told me the departing airport check in deck (MIA in this case) could assign me a seat, when only the gate agent at DFW could do so. If I had been told there was no way for me to know if I had a seat until getting to DFW, I would have asked for a refund then. A quick google shows that at least under some circumstances AA considers an equipment change to be the same as a schedule change (voluntary refund eligible). Considering I went from having a confirmed boarding pass in a 30 seat cabin to a question mark in a 20 seat cabin, I think the solution to refund was fair, I don't see why it was "above and beyond." I am sure the GA in DFW is glad to have one less passenger to have to deal with and I didn't have to pace around the gate finding out if I had a seat. My first choice would still have been to have taken the flights with an assigned seat, so I don't think some miles are an unreasonable request. I won't get irate if they say no either.