FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CEO Rupert Hogg resigns; also other top execs
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:43 pm
Transpacificflyer

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Respectfully, this opinion uses a somewhat dated perspective of mainland Chinese carriers...and a yesteryear perspective of CX, too.
Yes, I do understand that CX cut back on its service quality and that many of hits FFs have expressed their fury here at FT. And yes, I do understand that China Southern and Hainan can provide excellent service on some routes. However, other mainland carriers have had it in for Cathay for some time. I offer that it is naive to not account for the strategic intent of PLA/CPC controlled entities. They are a juggernaut, intent on dominance, much as the railroad companies of industrial North America sought to control and dominate their market. CX is a symbol of quality, and provides decent employment opportunities to which the mainland carriers are compared. Curtail the global reach and standing of the firm and the regional quality of mainland carriers isn't so bad.

I draw your attention to the depressing news last week of mainland controlled mega companies initiated directives to boycott Cathay. For example, Huarong International and CRC are reported to have implemented such a directive. I also draw your attention to the effective strategy Air China applied to establish dominance on its Canadian routes, despite the presence of a JV with Air Canada. On the surface, there should be no need to negatively impact a JV partner, and yet it is IMO ongoing.