FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Penalty for Selling My AA Miles
View Single Post
Old Aug 15, 2019, 6:54 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by omaralt
i'm sure they try their best; but mistakes happen... imagine meeting a guy on the subway and you strike up a conversation. his mom is dying and he cant afford to go see her. you generously offer to buy him a ticket to go visit her with your miles. how does AA know if you sold the miles or not? they have no way to know if the guy slipped you a few hundred bucks.. so as good as you think they are; mistakes are bound to happen. the only reason the OP got caught is because he (stupidly) put his phone number on the ad
This was a situation of openly advertising a mileage sale on the internet, in one of the more highly visible places at that for trying to sell things. Very different than giving a ticket away to a homeless guy or some random person at the airport and not asking for something material back for it.

As much as I dislike some of the ways of the airline programs, it’s important to recognize that some situations cause problems for customers redeeming miles in a way that other situations don’t.