FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase Shut Downs & Credit-Card Account Closures: Data, Tales & Speculation 2019-on
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:52 pm
bwiflyer01

Chase last week closed my checking and savings accounts that I had opened in June for the $600 checking/savings bonus. I wasn't doing any MS, MO, or any cash deposits...just direct deposit from my employer and less than $5,000 in ACH transfers since June other than the initial $15k transfer into the savings account. Although they won't tell me anything, my guess is that I linked too many external bank accounts and they locked it down when I tried to transfer $200 to Chase from Varo. As of now I still have two credit cards with them. When I initially spoke with them last week, they said they would restore my online access once the accounts were closed.

Now that the accounts are closed, I call back and I'm first told I will never have my online access restored and that I must call Chase to make a payment, verify a transaction, etc. I then speak with a supervisor who restores my online access. After logging in the first time, the account is locked again. I call back and the agent gets leadership approval to restore my access and makes a note of it in my account. I log in again, account is locked again. I call back a third time and I'm told the previous agents and managers were wrong and I will never be able to access my Chase account online.

Has anyone experienced this? I've read mixed reports of people having their credit card accounts closed within a few weeks of the bank account closing. In those cases, those people were given 30 days to use their UR points, which I assume means they had online access in order to use them. The last post in the Chase Shutdown Thread is 8 months ago so was wondering if there were any more recent data points.

Is it worth contacting Chase EO or filing a CFPB complaint or should I wait until Chase closes the credit card accounts? Even if Chase didn't close the accounts, it doesn't seem realistic to maintain the accounts without online access.
  1. Did you transfer UR points to someone with a different address? Different last name? No.
  2. Did you sell UR points to someone? No.
  3. Approximately what percentage of your charges earned less than 5x points in the past 12 months? 100%. I only use my CSR. I have a Freedom card but never use it.
  4. Did a Chase or non-Chase bank recently close one of your credit cards? No.
  5. Are you using up a large percentage of your credit line on all Chase and non-Chase credit cards? No. I'm only using about 8% of my credit line.
  6. Is your total credit line with Chase much higher than with other banks? Yes.
  7. Did you apply for many credit cards or other forms of credit in the past 2 months? ("Many" may be hard to define.) No, I haven't applied for any credit cards in the last 2 years.
  8. If you have a Chase checking account how much did you typically deposit in money orders per month, if any? Never deposited any money orders.
  9. Did you recently start spending a lot more with Chase than in typical months? No.
  10. Is your monthly balance frequently close to your credit limit? No.
  11. Approximately what percentage of spending was on gift cards this year? None.
  12. How much of your bill do you typically pay using WM or KMart bill payment if any? None.
  13. Do you have a Chase mortgage or other account that might be profitable to Chase? No.
  14. Has your credit score or credit profile changed recently? As in: significantly more debt, more open credit lines, or a large drop in your credit score? No.

Last edited by bwiflyer01; Aug 13, 2019 at 10:17 pm Reason: Answer questions from wiki