FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Chicago {US-IL}
View Single Post
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:39 pm
Miesque

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I had my first stay (Fri & Sat night) at the new Conrad in a Chicago Suite (which is what I booked, at the old Conrad I always got bumped up to the next level of suite, similar to my experiences at the Waldorf and Drake). At check-in I was originally given a Chicago Suite on the 11th floor and asked if there was anything higher and got one on the 12th floor. Overall a pleasant stay whoever there was one annoying experience. I had left the room mid-Saturday morning and got back early evening and I go to open the door and it unlocks and opens two inches and then BANG hits the metal square used now adays as a secondary door restraint. I flagged down a maid that happened to be in the hallway and "oh you must have accidentally flipped it when you left") and called maintenance. One maintenance guy came up to check it out and then another came up and finally used some wire to move it so the door could be opened. I thanked them and went inside and see a maid's cleaning bottle and rag on the bathroom counter so it wasn't me that triggered the metal swinging back. In addition, not only was that bottle and rag left but it looked like they had gotten 90% through the cleaning but hadn't replaced the face cloths or soap and it looked highly likely they inadvertently moved that metal restraint going out but couldn't get back in and instead of getting it fixed just moved on. That irritated me. It was late and I didn't want to deal with waiting for face cloths so I used a hand towel so I just let it go. The Diamond breakfast benefit was explained as $30 per day good for any restaurant at check-in. Did not have breakfast on Saturday morning but did Sunday morning before check-out and it hadn't hit yet and the lady checking me out said she would deduct the first $15 of it once it came through to which I responded, I was informed it was $30/day and which I responded "the reservation is for 2 people" and got a "there is only one name on the reservation" to which I further responded, that is not what I was told on check-in. The whole exchange really irked me especially since I think $15/person is chinzy for a hotel charging these rates. When I finally got my bill emailed, I did $30 deducted of the $39.82 breakfast cost (that is one order of Eggs Benedict, one coffee and one orange juice plus 20% tip so goes to show how little the $15 per person goes). I would definitely stay there again, but I missed the old Conrad even though this was newer and fancier. Really would depend on rates of it vs the Drake or Waldorf