FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure
Old Aug 13, 2019, 9:07 am
seat38a

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Some of the pushback you're getting is because your example doesn't prove your thesis.

Your example was a tweet that pointed guests down a multi-step process to find out what the resort fee inclusions are at a particular hotel. As I understand it, the Attorneys General are suing over the lack of disclosure of the cost of the resort fee during booking. What's included in the fee is irrelevant to the lawsuit. Therefore, a tweet about how to find those inclusions is also irrelevant to the case.

Additionally, even if the tweet were about the actual cost, it would be irrelevant because Twitter isn't a component of the actual process of booking a hotel room online. The Attorneys General will only care about the process of booking a hotel room on the website.
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Let's say I agree. I still don't see how this tweet is some sort of smoking gun. What's important is how the fee is disclosed during the booking process. Everything else is irrelevant. As I noted earlier, no one books hotel rooms via tweets.
Originally Posted by myperks

yup... the tweet is not the smoking gun, which is what appears to be the original intent of the thread based on the title. It then blossomed into resort fee disclosure and what not, while relevant to general resort fees (which there are plenty of other threads on the topic), but the tweet seems irrelevant to the AGs case. SMH
Everyone is up in arms about the resort fee and then everyone just blows off the taxes as "Government Required" yet no one seems to know or care that many of those taxes are rebated back to the hotel or they are allowed to keep it. Disney Resorts and Anaheim being a prime example and many more of these sleazy "government mandated" profit margins that don't make the news or are easy to dig up. I wish I can find the articles on LA Times, but those "taxes" that everyone seems to look the other way on is more nefarious than the resort fee thats blasted in neon on the rate page. Those "taxes" you'r paying could be for paying back the cost of building the hotel building or other "development cost."

Hotels are not the only ones to benefit from what I call government sponsored scam. Counties do this with their sales tax as well. But its ok because its a tax right?