FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott shoots self in foot re: resort fee disclosure
Old Aug 13, 2019, 4:25 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I mean, I think there are two issues. One is obfuscation on overall price. That's what the AGs are going after. The other is benefit obfuscation, which might well end up being grounds for a separate fraud case. The two are wrapped up with one another but they're not exactly the same problem.

I think a third, related, complaint is that I can't easily check (for example) parking fees. I've had to pull out a scratch pad more than once to sort out which hotel was cheaper among a set of hotels after accounting for parking and for resort fees (since about half the time when I'm in Orlando I don't have a car, but half the time I do, and it can significantly alter my calculus about getting a rental car and parking vs just using Uber/Lyft). At least with an explicit parking fee you can dodge or mitigate that (sometimes to the confusion and apparent consternation of the staff).

Conceptually I have no problem with "unbundling", but it would be nice to be able to "build your own bundle" when price shopping. To be fair, I've got the same complaint pretty much across the board with the travel industry...but that doesn't mean the complaint doesn't exist.

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Aug 13, 2019 at 4:33 am