FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it just me, or is 4S declining?
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:57 pm
MikeFromTokyo

I think FS is getting too big. The core, premier FS hotels in top locations are still as excellent as ever, but in my view they are running the risk of diluting their brand image and losing track of ‘the vision’ by getting too big. The fact is that the many FS properties opening up around the world in what I refer to as second tier markets will inevitably be “FS lite” hotels, akin to average Park Hyatt or StRegis premium business hotels, as opposed to the legendary type of Four Seasons hotels where the real magic of FS service comes alive and the stay experience is unparalleled.

Back when FS had forty or so hotels, and people were hand picked for management positions throughout the entire group, the FS name became synonymous with the ultimate hospitality experience. The name without that same quality behind it is nothing more than a name, just like Ritz-Carlton that was previously referred to colloquially as the ultimate in hotels. Ritz-Carlton certainly has changed as a Marriott brand, and has many second tier properties, along with a dozen or so really great ones. Four Seasons is still in a considerably better position in its premier city hotel and resort locations, but I would like to see them remember the original FS vision and resist the temptation to grow too big and to enter markets that really cannot support a Four Seasons. That has definitely already started happening, unfortunately.

Today’s Rosewood reminds me much more of what FS used to be before it started getting too big. In my opinion FS should not be competing with Park Hyatt and other similar brands, but should stick to what they do best - hotels where dreams come alive and you can feel the quality everywhere you look.