Old Aug 12, 19, 9:15 am
The Lev
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE MM, SD Gold, SPG Gold
Note when @flyquiet mentions FLYING miles they mean AQM or Altitude Qualifying Miles. Depending on what type of fare your friend is purchasing, the number of AQM they earn may be more or less than the number of miles actually flown. I'm not sure whether it is deliberate or not but it can be quite confusing trying to figure out how many AQM you earn ahead of time (broadly speaking when flying AC Business Class earns 150% of actual miles flown, Premium Economy 125%, Flex 100%, Standard 25-50% and Basic 0-25%). It is even tougher to figure out for star Alliance partners.

However, once flown you can track the number of AQM that you have earned here (use your aeroplan number and password):
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/login

That site also tells you whatstatus you have and how much more you need to fly/spend to get to the next level.

I am going to suggest that if your friend is living abroad most of the Aeroplan miles they are for flying (unless they are using a Canadian Aeroplan credit card for other purchases), so the amount of AQM probably are not very different from the number of miles on their Aeroplan account.

Do ask them to look at the link I provided above - it should unravel the mystery.