Old Aug 12, 19, 4:45 am
flyquiet

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
A friend of mine has Black Elite on Aeroplan but they have not sent him his card and he has over 50k on his aeroplan. Air Canada would not let him use the Lounge neither would they let him board with the Gold members of Star Alliance. Does AC know in their data if an Aeroplan member gets his Black Elite? Also it the black Elite the equal of Star Alliance Gold?
thank you
The above responses are correct but I'll try to add my 2c. Your friend needs to know that the exact terminology is of the essence to Lounge access, priority (Gold) boarding, etc.

There is no such thing as Black "Elite" on Aeroplan. Aeroplan has Black, Silver, and Diamond status levels. There is no "card" for this.
Aeroplan status is determined by SPENDING in the current year, including airfares, credit card spending on Aeroplan credit cards, and anywhere that has an Aeroplan earning relationship.

NONE of the Aeroplan statuses count for Lounge or boarding privileges.
There are "benefits" including the number of miles a certain redemption award might cost or the wait time on the phone to call to make a redemption booking - I am not sure what, exactly.

"Elite" status comes from Altitude. Aeroplan operates the record-keeping system for Altitude.
All Altitude miles count for Aeroplan, but ONLY flying counts for Altitude.
(I oversimplified: certain non-flying things also count for Altitude such as bonus miles for business fares and buying flight passes. But credit card and related spending doesn't count. And only Star Alliance flying counts for Altitude.)

The levels of Altitude are "Prestige" 25K (P25K Star Alliance Silver); and "Elite" E35K (Star Alliance Silver) and E50K, E75K and "Super Elite" SE100K (Star Alliance Gold.)
You will notice there is no Black and Diamond status listed there. It is unfortunate that Aeroplan used "Silver" as one of their status levels because it is not the same as Star Alliance Silver.

Gold (Altitude) status requires flying at least 50K miles in the calendar year. The Altitude counter resets to zero every year. Our status this year was determined by our total Star Alliance flying in 2018, subject to also meeting the minimum Air Canada spending. The miles you fly in 2019 give you status for March 2020 to February 2021, but if you reach a status level before October, you can start to have the benefits early (in the current year) also.

The BALANCE of Aeroplan miles your friend has is not relevant to status. Those miles are just like a bank account balance. Those 50K Aeroplan miles could have been accumulated from purchases of merchandise over many years or even a lifetime. A person with zero Aeroplan miles in their account can be Super Elite (because he flew 100,000 miles in January and February, but spent all the miles on a vacation in March and April) and a person with 1,000,000 Aeroplan miles can have no status because they earned it all through credit card spending over 20 years.
Aeroplan miles are available to redeem (with payment of the necessary additional fees) as long as they don't expire from having NO earning or spending in a 12 month period.

Your friend can find his Altitude status and how many more miles he needs to fly to get *Gold by logging in and looking on his dashboard.
https://altitude.aircanada.com/status/home