FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2019 Shutdown Thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:42 pm
synzero

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by PointsLawyer
Strangely, I've been seeing the opposite in my practice. It will be interesting to see if there's a flood of them when the arbitration provisions are put back in.
Interesting. Why aren’t there more people posting about their shutdowns here and elsewhere? Just curious.

I’m new to the points and miles game but have already gotten a lot of value out of my cards. I have absolutely zero desire to do MS and just want to stay within the lines with organic spend, but I do want to get the benefits of various cards.

I’m currently at 4/24 (or will be after removing myself as an AU on my wife’s Freedom card). I stupidly got a Nordstrom card in 2018 so burned a slot for no good reason, oh well.

Two months ago got Amex Plat, a month ago got CSR and Chase FU. I want to get Chase Ink Unlimited, then Hyatt, then Amex Gold eventually. I have 11 other cards going back up to 25 years, no adverse marks in my credit report, FICO around 750 only because I have some 0% balance transfers on a few cards just to reduce the balance on my HELOC (for various reasons we had to use a HELOC to buy our house, even though the total is less than 80% of our purchase price due to low appraisal).

We do around $6K/month in organic spend across all cards. No MS whatsoever. No plans to close any of these accounts.

If I applied for the Ink and Hyatt soon after my AU drops off my credit report, any risks? How long to wait? 2 or 3 months? Longer?

Really curious whether the shutdowns you’re seeing are MS or abuse related or if just opening accounts will trigger things.