FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada 24 hours cancellation/Changes
View Single Post
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:26 am
canopus27

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vji
Any update on this due to their new rules?

I booked a flight before the new rules came into place and cancelled the flight within 24 hours (using their online tool, which allows you to cancel the flight but not refund the miles). However they are looking to charge me the cancellation fee even though their new rules say they do not anymore. I tried calling but each airline agent says that the new rule only applies to tickets booked on or after 7/15. Are they right on this or should they have been allowing refunds for tickets cancelled before that date (but within 24 hours of booking)? Thanks!
I'm having a tough time following your question.

First, I presume you're talking about an aeroplan flight reward booking, correct? We should also note that Aeroplan uses the words "cancel" and "refund" to mean very different things (defintions here: https://kbr-aimia.kb.net/Article/Index/12/6?id=3060) so I'm going to use their terminology.

I think your scenario is that you booked a flight before 7/15, and then cancelled that booking within 24 hours. Which, unless you booked the flight on 7/14, would also mean that you cancelled it before 7/15. Therefore, the old rules would apply.

However, and as noted, Aeroplan treats cancellation as a different thing than a refund - and so I think you are asking if you can now get a refund for a booking that was previously cancelled - and whether that refund is now free.

Once you carefully distinguish between "cancel" and "refund", the Aeroplan announcement (here: https://www.aeroplan.com/whats_new/n...285_2019_07_15) seems reasonable clear:
  • "Beginning July 15, 2019, Aeroplan members will be able to cancel and refund Flight Rewards for free within 24 hours of booking." Obviously that doesn't apply to you now, as you're now significantly past 24 hours of booking.
  • "As of July 15, 2019, Aeroplan members can cancel and refund their Flight Reward booking for a fee". There is still a refund fee.
  • "As of July 15, 2019, Aeroplan will lower the Refund Fee to $125 for refunds completed via aeroplan.com". The refund fee is $125.
  • "Beginning July 15, 2019, Air Canada Altitude Super Elite 100K members will (...) no longer be charged a fee to refund their bookings." So if you're super elite, then there's no refund fee, otherwise it's $125