FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No ID check on domestic
View Single Post
Old Aug 10, 2019, 4:53 pm
HarryKUK

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

These questions are still rather poorly answered as there are a number of follow on questions which may (or may not!) add some clarity:

1. Why is ID needed to check in bags but not if I am carrying a rucksack as hand luggage? Is it for the security of the aircraft or is it more of a customer relations thing in case the bag gets lost?

2. Why do the LCCs insist on photo ID regardless of bags? Is this for security reasons or more for revenue protection (so a mate can’t just give a mate a ticket and allow him to fly to avoid the name change fee)?

3. Do we have no-fly lists in the UK? Is anyone barred from flying from a UK airport? And if so, could they book under a random name on a domestic flight and make their way airside and on-board?

Personally I feel BA should insist on ID for all passengers (however basic it may be - a school lanyard, library card etc) as I do think they should have an accurate manifest in case there was ever an incident. I don’t like the idea that someone can book a flight with someone else’s name and fly even thought I’m aware they can do that on the bus or train etc. Flying is a more high-risk area in my opinion.