FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travelling the world for 6 months... My sabbatical leave experience
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:40 am
palmanfr

Programs: AF/KL Plat, BA Gold, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond, MR Gold, HH Diamond, ALL Platinum
Back to reality... but going to paradise ! Part 2 MH Economy class KUL-DPS

I went back to the first lounge at 6:30 the next morning for breakfast, with my usual cereals and waffles. Call me a frugal traveller :-)

Good morning !

Cereal and waffles for breakfast

Breakfast with a view...

I then finished my night with a short nap in the nap section of the First lounge for another 30 minutes before heading to gate C14 in the satellite terminal where the flight to Denpasar was leaving from.

Nap area MH First lounge KUL

A nice place to finish my night...

The usual crowd before the gate security...

9M-MTU to DPS

There was a bit of a queue to clear security and the priority boarding began shortly after I cleared it.

Malaysia Airlines MH715 - December 16th 2018
Kuala Lumpur KUL - 09:00
Bali Denpasar DPS - 12:05
Airbus A330-200 - 9M-MTU - Seat 15K, Window seat, Economy class.

This seat was in the first few rows of the economy class, which Malaysia Airlines markets as an economy plus; with some extra legroom compared to the later rows. I was happy to find that I will have two seats for me on this flight and moved to the window seat. Although I am quite tall, (1m88) the legroom was sufficient.

The first few rows are considered as a kind of economy plus...

Seat 15K for me

One seat is ok...

But I was lucky to score both seats for me !

No business class for me this time !

Push back

We taxied for a few minutes and took off around 0930. The service was quite uneventful, if not rude and the meal selection consisted in a rice curry with chicken or beef, with the classical peanuts, a cookie and a cup of water. This was eventually followed by some coffee or tea.

An early lunch...

...but with a view !

The flight conditions were smooth and the approch towards DPS airport featured very nice views.

Nice views, unfortunately I will not be going to that island this time !

Final approach into DPS

Total route KUL-DPS

Parked next to a SQ Boeing 777-200

We landed at 12:20 local time and taxied for a few minutes before reaching our gate, located next to a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-200

Immigration took no time and I waited about 20 more minutes to get my luggage, and had then to queue a good 10 minutes to clear customs as I was selected for secondary screening with the X-ray (about half of the passengers were).

DPS immigration. I heard some good and bad about it. All I can say is that while we waited a bit to get our baggage, the immigration part was very smooth.

I visited many airports in my life and in different countries. And in some of those countries, some pretended (read fake) taxis drivers offer their services straight out of the arrivals area, with more or less insistance… But this arrival in Bali airport was really the most annoying experience I had, with some fake taxi drivers trying to catch up passengers even within the customs area ! As I was waiting for some friends to pick me up at the departures level (they were actually leaving Bali later that day and had hired a very good driver and guide), at least 2 or 3 drivers were following me insisting they could « bring me up wherever I wanted in Bali for a good price ». Quite annoying… especially for a first visit on this island. However, my next 3 days were just fantastic and Made, the driver my friends hired and whom I kept during my visit of the island made my stay very enjoyable…