FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the best hotel program for luxury stay?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 12:19 am
MikeFromTokyo

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am not a Hyatt guy, but it sounds like as far as the Marriott card that would give him lounge access at the non-luxury options which isn't really what he wants.
Ritz-Carlton does not give away club level to anyone routinely through upgrades/status/or otherwise. The only exceptions would be management deciding to extend club access on an exceptional basis, or for holder of the Cobalt Card, which is Ritz-Carlton’s most exclusive recognition program that is only extended by invitation to a few hundred people in the world, if that. Members include former US presidents, heads of state, and Fortune 500 CEOs, among others.

When senior management of Ritz-Carlton at the corporate level have been asked about the possibility of complimentary club access for Marriott “elites” at Ritz-Carlton, the response is “not for as long as I live.”

Having used the more exclusive club levels of top Ritz-Carlton properties, as well as the free access through status club levels at Hyatt, InterContinental, etc., I can say that it is absolutely better to have club level as a paid only option. It’s the only way to have the club level really have integrity as a premium product with a higher level of service. Otherwise, club levels invariably become havens for “elite status” guests who want to use them for the free F&B offerings and to use it as a workspace, often talking loudly on the telephone etc...

When it’s a paid only option, that costs >$100~ more per night over standard accommodation, the clubs are less crowded, and it weeds out the the type of guest who sits there for the free food. The entire experience is nicer, and it still is good value for the people who choose to pay for club level.