Old Aug 9, 19, 9:05 am
ijgordon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA View Post
And I am in awe if the OP can really make it from the UWS to EWR in just an hour. I feel like the Airtrain alone can eat up 30 minutes, depending on how long you have to wait for it.
I'd corroborate the ~hour (maybe a few minutes more) from UWS to EWR, though I can't speak of recent TSA experiences. I would note that this usually involves picking a specific train, because the NJT schedules can be sporadic, especially on weekends.
In contrast, I don't usually bother looking at the schedule or targeting a specific train when taking the LIRR to JFK, as it's rarely more than 10-15 minutes between trains (other than a few times each day where there may be a 20-25m gap, and of course outside of late-night hours).

I don't go to EWR nearly as much as I used to, since UA took over CO, but back then I rarely left Manhattan more than 2-2.5 hours before my flight if taking the train. I think one time I cut it very close due to a snafu at Penn, but obviously NJT is in much worse shape than 5 years ago, so it's not unreasonable to add more time (or just fly via JFK!).