FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Economy basic OLCI seat selection strategy?
Old Aug 9, 2019, 6:01 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DoB840
If there are no machines at JFK or FCO, am I better off waiting until I arrive at the airport for my flight to check-in without having even attempted OLCI, or should I go through OLCI without generating a boarding pass? I'd very much prefer a window seat on the TATL segments - don't care as much about the short-haul segments (but ideally a window would be nice there, too).
I don't use these machines now that status allows seat selection on Basic tickets (originally Basic got no selection with status), but my recollection is that JFK does have the machines, FCO does not. You can't change seats via these machines after a boarding pass has been issued, but regardless you can ask staff to change seats. I can't see you getting that to happen the day before travel if agents are involved. This therefore means that you won't be able to change them via the machines at Flight Connections LHR either.

For the OLCI versus boarding pass - on Basic tickets I don't think delaying the printing will make a difference, your allocated seat will stick unless something unusual happens (equipment change, requirement to keep children together or to line up with the oxygen masks). I'm not sure that delaying OLCI will make a difference either other than it makes it easier for "something unusual" to shift you - and that could be either a positive or negative change.

If the purpose of this is to guarantee a window seat, you will need to pay. If the flights aren't full then you have a reasonable chance of getting one at the airport. If the flights are full then you may struggle since window seats are more popular than aisle seats.