FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - No Advance LH Discount Economy seat selection & other seating issues w/ UA Tkts (016)
Old Aug 9, 2019, 1:56 am
AvidFlyer1990

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Originally Posted by findark
The first segment is a little strange.. did you really mean "long-haul"? It looks like a segment on an aircraft with no Premium Economy, which would be a narrowbody. Other than that, yes, LH charges for seat selection (ASR) on all restricted tickets in Economy, even delegated segments of restricted premium fares that are otherwise in "full Y". Only exceptions are for M&M SEN and HON. For what it's worth they do still treat *G fairly well, and as a *G on a Y fare you'd be near the top of the op-up list (I've been op-upped a few times within Europe).

LH opens check in at T-23h to departure, according to their website. You will receive an automatic assignment at check-in, and also be able to change it using LH online checkin.
Yes, the first segment is indeed a long-haul, operated by a Boeing 747-400, with C, N, and Y classes and it is > 8+ hours. Thank you so much for the information. I am a little surprised that even full 'Y' fares are being charged a seat-selection fee.

P.S. I am still contemplating spending around $570 to upgrade the other 3 long-haul legs to premium economy. I guess it'll cause it to re-write the ticket in one of the following classes: G, E, or N.

Originally Posted by tods27
LH officially opens check-in at T-23 (as findark noted), but in practice it is often much earlier. My personal theory is that they open check in when the first connecting passenger checks in (at t-23 for their first flight). Whatever the reason, I always start trying to check in about 36 hours before flight time. For DEN-FRA, it has been pretty consistent around T-28 IME.

For some reason, I have a recent reservation that is 016 plated with LH flight number and metal (heavily discounted L fare) that is allowing me to reserve a seat for free. The 'standard' seats show as no charge and the 'preferred' section and 'more legroom' seats show at their normal pricing ($60/$115).

The pricing for LH ASR can be found here.
This is wonderful information. Thank you!

Since this ticket was booked through a corp TA, my name on the ticket appears in the following way: Lastname / Firstnamemr. I hope it won't cause any problems in getting the XX*G designation on the BP, or the other *G services, such as lounge, priority bags & boarding, being high on the UG list, etc.?