FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - US Customs (?) damaged luggage- how to proceed
Old Aug 8, 2019, 11:17 am
Taker Park

Originally Posted by bostontraveler
No. The suitcase was locked as in the photo here... IMHO it would be way faster to just use a TSA key and open the suitcase rather than take the time to cut the zipper clip at its base, which is what they did. But humility isn't in their vocabulary...
Quite frankly these days lodging a complaint is a complete and utter waste of time- in fact, it probably is detrimental. It would probably be put in your file and lead you to secondary inspections for being a "difficult" traveler. A losing battle with the bullies.
When I asked how to proceed I guess I was asking if anyone knew of remedies... specifically reimbursement for damages caused by them.
My hunch is that it's a waste of time but I figured I'd ask since the community collectively has more experience than my singular experiences.
CBP doesn't have access to the TSA key. TSA will not lend or issue keys to CBP.
Filing a tort claim doesn't take much effort. I've filed multiple responses to tort claims, almost always in support of the traveler. Damages claimed ranged from a bottle of liquor falling out of the bag onto the floor to luggage that had the handles torn off when lifted off of the floor.
I can't speak for BOS, but CBP at LAX is not encouraged to cut locks. The air carrier is compelled to do so when necessary due to being on the hook for having luggage available for inspection.