FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Spirit tickets at the airport (changes)
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:45 am
btonkid12345

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jebr
Same here. There was no fuel surcharge or "regulatory fee" when booking online, but there was when booking at the airport. Those fees did apply to the excise tax, but they weren't applied when booking online. I actually filed a DOT complaint over it because I'm pretty sure that it violates the reason that they're able to charge the Passenger Usage Fee and not pay excise tax on it.
Awesome on the DOT complaint! So what was the result of it? I was going to file one too...

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
All of these charges are a dodge to get around the excise tax. That they are now doing it at the airport although using different charges sure seems like tax evasion to me.
Yes, definitely. What's interesting is the website now states that the Fuel Charge and Regulatory Compliance Charge apply in select instances, and don't apply to select promotional fares. Having said that, if the website doesn't charge those two line items for the same fare class, the airport shouldn't, either - period. And that's not what's happening right now in practice; some fares ARE getting these two extraneous charges added on, which in most cases almost wipes out the savings from the Passenger Usage Charge.