FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Below Average Biz Class to the Above Average Balkans
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:17 am
pjs

6/2 – Thrones and Michelin Stars

We slept off the remainder of our jet lag and were up at 08:00. We decided to have breakfast in the restaurant and sat outside in the beautiful weather (low 70s at that time).

The buffet was good. Made to order omelets, smoked salmon, meats, cheeses, bacon, sausage, etc.

After breakfast, we walked through the old town as the shops opened and just browsed around. It’s fairly small so it can be covered in a couple of hours. My wife found some arts and craft places to buy a few locally-made things.

I am a big Game of Thrones fan and the show had just concluded a couple of weeks before this trip so I decided to take a tour. My wife is not a fan so she kept on shopping and browsing the stores in Old Town. I really enjoyed the tour. The guide was a massive fan, and her mom was a stand-in for Peter Dinklage (or so she said). We got to see many of the places where they filmed and the guide provided context about where the CGI was added using pictures of the real scenes. We also had some great photo opps from the fort across from Old Town.

After the tour ended and we had seen the steps of “Shame” I met back up with my wife and we went to a cute little wine bar named D’Vino for some wine and cheese.

We decided we’d had enough of the old town crowds by then (I bet July and August are insane there), so we walked out the Ploce Gate and visited Banje Beach to see the views back toward Dubrovnik and dip our toes in the (cold) Adriatic.

On the way back, I stopped in the GoT store and got my iron throne pic that came with the tour.

Bonus points if you can figure out the significance of the '6'

After all that time in the heat, we were ready for a nap. Plus the weather was starting look a bit stormy. We went back and relaxed at the Hilton.

After the storm ended, we walked over to Restaurant 360, a Michelin starred eatery along the wall near the Ploce Gate. While the view was fantastic and the food was good, the portions were small and the service was a bit pretentious.

We were still hungry so we grabbed gelato on the way back through Old Town. We turned in for the night early as we had a busy day ahead of us and a new country to check off the list.

Up next: Motor to Kotor